Friday, July 22, 2011

Welcome Samuel Taylor Power! Part 1

He is here! A lot earlier than we expected, but we are just so happy that our little man is healthy and strong and here in our arms! I began having contractions on tuesday June 28th in the evening. I knew they were contractions because they were every 20 minutes apart and they were somewhat painful, unlike the uncomfortable Braxton hicks contractions I had been having since I was 18 weeks pregnant. I decided to just wait it out and see if they went away. They stayed all night, all wednesday and all Thursday. Wednesday night I called my midwife to see what I should do. She had me head into the birth center first thing Thursday morning where I was given an anti cramp tincture that should stop my labor. They also checked me and I was 70% effaced and dilated to a 2. I was going into labor! They sent me home and had me on bed rest. I could not believe it! I spent my time sewing a dress, and trying to keep my mind from focusing on the contractions. Thursday night I had my family baby shower at my parents house where we were staying, and the whole time my labor was picking up, although no one knew what was going on! As I was opening presents I would kind of zone out and stare at everyone as I tried to smile and focus on the contraction. Once the last present was opened I went straight down to my bedroom and laid down. I could not believe that this was happening. I was somewhat worried because if he decided to come now I could not deliver at the birth center that I wanted to be at, but would have to go to the hospital. Zach and my mom kept saying, if he can just wait 2 weeks you can still deliver at the birth center, but I had a feeling that he was not going to stay in there that long! Zach gave me a blessing Thursday night because I was concerned that I was in pre term labor. One of the lines that was said, was that "I would be surprised with what my true desires are." After the blessing we both felt peace, but I had a feeling that this little guy was coming. At first I thought my desire was to have my baby at the birth center when he was full term, but I was overcome with the feeling that my true desires are to do Heavenly Father's will for me. This brings the most joy and happiness. My sister Macie packed a birth bag for me and then Zach and I laid down to go to bed. No one seemed to think that the baby would really be coming. I did not go to sleep but I laid there and breathed through each contraction. The contraction pain was interesting because in a weird way I liked it. I could feel my cervix opening and the pressure pushing him down. When I tried to wake Zach up he was so groggy that it took several tries and several contractions. We called my midwife who said I should get to the hospital. The contractions were coming ever 5-10 minutes apart, and while I was on the phone with her I began to throw up, a sign of active labor. Zach and I began laughing and wandering around the room trying to figure our what to take! It was 3 am in the morning. I put on one of Zach's shirts, and Zach put on a nice pair of slacks and a button up shirt. Later we laughed that Zach go all dressed up for the occasion when it was about to get quite messy. My mom and Zach and I got in the car and headed for American Fork Hospital. I felt great. The contraction would come, I would focus through it, and then I felt like a million bucks! I was so excited that this really was it! Our baby was coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment